Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Brea update

I know I haven't been posting lately, but I'll get back to it soon...hopefully consistently.  Brea is about 3 1/2 weeks old and I've been needing to post a little update on her.  She started smiling about a week ago.  It started out that she would smile while sleeping, which is pretty typical and then she started smiling while awake and being talked to.  She's so sweet!  She sleeps pretty well.  She will slightly wake up 3-4 times a night to eat, but she just latches on and we both go back to sleep.  Its still not great sleep, but its not terrible either.  Her eyes are still a grayish blue color, though I would be greatly surprised if hers didn't turn brown after a while, too.  We're pretty sure she is a redhead, though its more of an auburn color and we'll have to wait until she gets more hair for full effect. :)  She's a pretty calm and content baby.  She cries when she's hungry, gassy, poopy or tired.  There's not a lot of fussing where she is concerned.  I'm very thankful that the Lord answered our prayers in that area. :)

The kids LOVE her.  Ailey is constantly trying to hug, kiss or lay on her.  She even talks to her in a specific voice.  So funny!  If Brea starts to cry, Ailey goes on high alert and let's me know that "Brea's, she's crying!"  Then, she'll run in there and tell her its okay.  Very cute!
Braden and Zekey both ask frequently to hold her and as long as they are seated, they can both hold her unassisted and they do such a great job!  Both of them ask after her if they've been playing in a different part of the house or outside away from her for a while. They just kind of check in on her.  Its so, so sweet!

I've been asked a few times how Ailey is handling the division of attention.  At this point, I honestly can't tell a difference.  She hasn't gotten any more desperate for attention than she already was. ;p  She does want me to hold her just as much, but she's perfectly fine with Brea sharing Mommy space.  She will sit with us and love on Brea, though I'm still working on not poking Brea in the eyes, nose and mouth....you know, the usual.

Anyway, we are all doing well.   I didn't really feel any sense of being overwhelmed until about the 3-week mark because I was ready to get back to getting stuff done and I couldn't go at the pace I wanted to.  Just something God is working on in me.  I'll have to learn to be patient in a bit of a different way than all the other times he's had to build patience in me and I'll have to learn to let go of some more selfishness.  :)  I'm a work in progress and I'm so glad that He's not done with me yet!

No comments: