Now Brea has begun to grab at her blankets lately, so I thought it would be good to get her something like Ailey has, but I wanted something more like this:
After seeing how much they are, which isn't bad, of course, I decided that the construction was easy enough for me to attempt, instead of buy one. :) I've had a stash of that type of fabric for a long while now and really didn't know what I wanted to make out of it. I googled to see if there was a free pattern or tutorial and I found this one: Knotty Doll Tutorial and Knotty Doll Pattern
So, I was determined to make it myself now that I was armed with pattern and instructions. I decided to make three, one for Ailey because I knew the moment she saw it in doll form she would want one and continually take it away from Brea (she's done that with the 3 stuffed animals that are Brea's), one for Brea, of course, and one for my niece Lauren because I still owe her a birthday present from the first part of last month. That's right, I rock my mad aunt skilz with late birthday presents. :)
The main construction of them, body and head didn't take very long, but I hand-stitched the head on and then hand-stitched the hat on the head. That took some time. When I put together the first one, Sam looked at it and asked where its face was and I must admit, it did look rather creepy without a face. I went ahead and embroidered one on and then I decided that there needed to be some sort of a border around the hat because it looked more like a do rag. So, I hand-stitched a ribbon border on as well which equaled more time. Oh, and my fingers are pretty sore where I held the needle. Here's what they looked like before the face:
The hands and feet are not knotted. I couldn't get the knots small enough and the dolls looked like squatty bodies! Not quite the look I was after.
Here they are with faces: