Thursday, November 10, 2011

That Other Kid

I've stumbled upon a delightful tactic with my older two kiddos, Braden and Zekes.  Braden, especially, has a hard time with his attitude and heart when things do not go as planned or if he gets angry.  He comes by it honestly, I'm sad to say!  He follows in my footsteps.  When I am upset, I want to sit in it until I am done.  I don't want to be happy or have a good attitude, I want to finish out my irritation, frustration or anger first. ;)  (Vanessa, I still remember you trying to get me out of my bad moods and vice versa.  Fun times!)  As I was encountering this situation with Braden for the who-knows-what-time, I told him that I don't like it when that other kid comes to visit.  I told him that I like my Braden and that other kid needs to go back to his house.  The result?  Instant smile!  Followed by much giggling.  Awesome!  I shared the technique with Sam and we have both been employing it and I must say, we are pretty excited!

I used it with Zekers this morning and it was a beautiful thing!  The winds of heart change, they are a blowin'!  I am also learning to pray with them when they are having a hard time gaining self-control.  That is one of the fruits of the spirit and the Holy Spirit gives it freely as well as the ability to make the choice to want it.  I want them to learn that no matter what is going on in their lives, good, bad or eh, that if we continually ask the Lord into it, invite Him to be a part of every moment of our day, that He GLADLY joins us, guides us and encourages us.  It also causes us to seek Him BEFORE we make decisions to see if we should even be doing whatever in the first place.  We can truly rest in waiting on Him and walking the path He has set before us!  That is peace!  Its a slow process because I am still a work in progress, too, and I have to change my heart and attitude and built-in reactions to situations, as well.  I'm excited!  Bring on the pruning!

1 comment:

Nessa and Jeebs said...

hehehe- i was never in a bad mood :) that's just my natural personality! Amen to the praying always. If I can remember to do that when my kids are being scallywags it always works. The post you did about the tv thing I thought was great. I remember talking to you on the phone and you'd go silent for a while and I knew you were engrossed in some show hahaha!!