Thursday, February 4, 2010

Butterfly Wings

So, I've been seeing all these really cute butterfly wings for little girls and, of course, my curiosity as to how to make them myself got piqued. Off I went on my usual maniacal research quest and found a very informative DIY youtube video (even though it is Halloween themed, the directions are fabulous, oh and the video itself is most creative and not at all boring:) -


Here are the written out directions from the same author of the video:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.nextnewnetworks.com/4110_blog.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.threadbanger.com/post/3058/diy-fairy-wings-howto-and-bonus-costume-essential&usg=__76tF2o49n4veAA3QTB9eShFTUOk=&h=267&w=400&sz=26&hl=en&start=23&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=WIAtSWj-ctZu4M:&tbnh=83&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhow%2Bto%2Bmake%2Bfairy%2Bwings%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D21%26um%3D1

SO, I do believe I will be attempting this in the near future. I mean I have a plethora of wire hangers and ribbon and old pantyhose and glitter glue and embellishments and paint.....you know I could go on and on!

I also found a very neat crown pattern in my wings wanderings, as well.... I don't think Ailey will have any shortage of dress up paraphernalia! Now, I need to look up some DIY boys dress up stuff. Then, I need to clean out my old trunk really well (it smells like really strong, stinky moth balls! ew!), repaper it and maybe outfit it with some compartments for the different costumes. I like the idea of setting it on its side and putting a hanging bar in it as well....oh, the ideas I have running through my head! I'll have to document this process once I have a space to start it in....i.e. a cleaned out garage, whenever that will happen!

4 comments:

Nessa and Jeebs said...

you have become a major crafter!! who woulda thunk? I keep finding things online I want to attempt too- you might like that one pretty thing blog. it's oneprettything.com I think...it's on my blog roll. They have a bunch of projects that this girl rounds up from other people online. It has ruined my life... there are so many projects I want to do now and I have no time to do them!! AGGHH

Nessa and Jeebs said...

I just watched the video tutorial and now I definitely want to make those!! THose are awesome! I love using exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DyessFam said...

Yeah! Me too! !!!!!!! I think I'm addicted to using them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

mzzterry said...

dress up clothes are the most popular things next to blocks at mdo, the boys like the fireman's coat, a referree shirt we have in the box, even the girlie stuff sometimes! hats are really big, better for home where you don't have to worry about lice! they like wraps/shawls. boots. sunglasses. bead necklaces that can break away so they wont choke. dress up is so much fun!!!