Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homemade yogurt adventure

Well, those of you who see me on facebook are already aware of my homemade yogurt experiment, but I wanted to put it on the blog to document it for posterity. I used this recipe (got it off of Chickens in the Road, of course!;), but instead of using 1/2 c. of dry milk to thicken, I used reconstituted dry milk for half of the milk used and then added another 1/2 cup for thickness. The other milk was a combination of organic skim and 2% milk. I also boiled down some strawberries and mixed that in at the end along with 1/2 a cup of sugar and 1/2 a cup of off-brand Splenda. Here is my picture documentary:




Was a little concerned over this consistency and let it sit over night

This is my favorite topping for strawberry shortcakes, so how can it not be great in yogurt!?

Liquidy stuff was still there in the morning, so I just mixed it up and it blended right together and looked very yogurty:) (one of these days I'll have enough Shelly-words to write my own dictionary;)

See? Pretty yummy.

Gonna have to get another pack of these. They are the perfect size.


See my sugar canister in the background? Found a whole set (flour, sugar, coffee and tea.)for $20 bucks at an estate sale about 4 years ago. I think they are from the fifties as far as I can tell. Cool, huh?


The boys were the official taste testers

Braden gave favorable reviews...

...in between bites

Zekey took to licking the drips from off of the table. He really liked it at first and then said he didn't. Oh, the inconstancy of a 2-year old!

All, in all this made quite a bit of yogurt. Getting it to all fit in our teeny-tiny refrigerator was the fun part...

2 comments:

Kay Little said...

Oh Shelly, this looks so good! I have always wanted to make yogurt! Wish I was there to try some...blessings, K

Rosemond said...

I'm so impressed!! =)