Saturday, April 19, 2008

Braden's birth story - pt. 1

Warning...I'm into telling things like they are, so if you don't want to know about bodily processes and birthing processes, I would recommend you just skip this one.............................




I just thought I'd take a little time to tell about how Braden came about.  First things first, I have to tell you about the boys' Nina and Padrino. (Their Godparents.) Juan and Donna are amazing people.  We first met them at Vinyard of San Antonio when I was stationed there.  We didn't even really know them, but knew they were special.  We were less than a year into our marriage having the usual first year struggles of merging two separate, independent lives into one and decided to seek out a couple to mentor us.  Anyway, we asked them to be our mentors and they were just exactly what we needed!  God is so amazing that way.:)  Anyway, Sam and I had talked about when we would like to start having kiddos and I was very adament about our having a strong foundation in our marriage first and so thought that having kids around the three year mark was a good idea.  I was also still in the military and just couldn't see how I could have husband, kids and job and make it all work.  Now Sam was just fine with this because being a man, made to carry the burdens God made him to carry, he was concerned with logistics: house, money, etc.  Well, we got to the 2-year mark and God put the desire to have kids sooner in my heart. (Best laid plans of men, right? ;) So, I approached Sam about it, let him know what was going on in my heart, but left it up to him to say when.  Finally, not long after that, he said he agreed and we should stop preventing and let God do the rest.  We went to Juan and Donna and asked them to pray over us and just walk with us through everything.  Well, I have never had a regular menstrual cycle and since I was a teenager had to use birth control off and on to regulate it. (Very frustrating, since I'm extremely forgetful!)  So, trying to get a handle on when I ovulate was a nightmare to say the least.  I wasn't about to go pay a ton of money that we didn't have to get ovulation kits because I would have had to use them the whole month since I wasn't able to guestimate.  Well, about a year and a half went by and I was referred to the infertility clinic at the base hospital.  That was going to be a two-month wait at least.  However, my doctor who was a really neat lady (nurse-practitioner-mid-wife) said that she could start me on some of the preliminary tests that the fertility clinic would do so that when we got there we would be that much ahead of the game.  The medication she gave me was clomid.  If any of you aren't familiar with clomid, basically you take it at the end of your menstrual cycle to make your ovaries release an egg.  Then if you don't have success getting pregnant with this step, they look at why you may not be ovulating and so on.  Well, I started it and we followed all of the instructions and waited to see what would happen.
Now, about a month before the doctor put me on clomid, Sam told me that God told him in about nine months we were going to have a baby.  I trusted that this would be so, though I have to admit, I was a little irritated that God didn't let me know personally, too.  :)  Okay, now during the waiting period, our cat Bob ran off.  He was gone for two weeks and I was just completely beside myself with worry.  (My cats were my children.)  I put up tons of flyers, knocked on neighbors doors, checked with local vets and went to the animal shelter every other day for two weeks.  Just as I was about to give up, one morning Sam came in and woke me up at around 5:30 and said, "Guess who's back?"  I was so excited and relieved!!!  Well, for some reason, I decided to take a pregnancy test right after that.  (The whole time I was was worrying over Bob, I had completely forgotten about the clomid and getting preggo.)  So, about thirty seconds after i took the test, I found out I was pregnant.  I was seriously freaking out!  Its really funny because after I got married, I knew that I had the ability to carry a baby in my body, but it was a surreal experience to know that I actually had a little life growing in my womb! 
More to come...

No comments: